doPDF is a free PDF converter for both personal and commercial use. Using doPDF we can create PDF files by selecting the 'Print' command from virtually any application. With one click we can convert Microsoft Excel, Word or PowerPoint documents or any emails and favorite web sites to PDF files. We can also print images with 'Print' button provided in 'Microsoft Picture and Fax viewer'.
PDF was officially released as an open standard on July 1, 2008, and published by the International Organization for Standardization as ISO/IEC 32000-1:2008. It is one of the most popular ebook formats used in market along with rapidly growing epub format. Even though it does not support reflowable content and hence is not suitable for mobile screens, nevertheless it is common for PCs. Each PDF file encapsulates a complete description of a fixed-layout 2D document that includes the text, fonts, images, and 2D vector graphics which compose the documents.
Download DoPDF setup from http://www.dopdf.com. After installing DoPDF, you can view it in START -> PRINTER AND FAX. Now you can open any program which allows to print files, it creates and print it.
Features of doPDF:
- It’s free: PDF converter free for both commercial and personal use.
- 32-bit and 64-bit support: It can be installed on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows operating systems.
- No GhostScript or .NET: It doesn’t require 3rd party programs to do PDF files such as GhostScript or runtime environments like the .NET Framework. This makes the setup file to be incredibly small compared to other free PDF creator programs.
- Customizable resolution: We can choose any resolution from 72 to 2400 dpi.
- Predefined/custom page sizes: We can choose a default page size (Letter, Legal, A4, A5, A6, ...) or enter your own custom page size.
- Searchable PDFs: You can search for text within the created PDF file (and search engines will also index the text from the PDF).
- Multi-language: We can choose a language for the user interface from over 20 languages supported.
- Embed the font: By checking the Embed fonts option, the resulting PDF file will be considerably larger because it will include in the PDF the fonts used for the creation of the text. However, font embedding also ensures that the text in the PDF will look the same on other computers where it is opened, even if the fonts used are not present on that computer.
Drawbacks of doPDF:
- Multi Screen problem: Some multi screen problems are reported here.
- Password protection: DoPDF does not support password protecting the PDF file while creating it. This can be done with NovaPDF, a commercial product by SoftLand. Visit NovaPDF homepage here.
- Batch printing: Batch printing is not supported.
- Merging PDF: PDF can not be merged. It can be done with NovaPDF.
- Silent installation: Silent installation is not supported so imposes restriction on use in corporate environment where silent installation is needed for installing printer on number of machines without human intervention. NovaPDF supports silent installtion.
- Command line printing: DoPDF does not support command line options so you can not write a simple command line script to batch print documents.
- Image compression: DoPDF can not compress images in a document. We need to manually compress and crop images in a document and print it to get resonable size PDF. Instructions regarding how to do this are mentioned here. Open office supports option for exporting file as PDF, it also provides support for lossless and JPEG compression while conversion. Visit Open Office website homepage here.
- Network printer: DoPDF can not be used as network printer.
Click here to post comment