Many desktop computers' and laptops' CD/DVD drive becomes nonfunctional after few years of use. It is easy to replace CD/DVD drive in desktop computers and those are cheap too but in case of laptop CD/DVD drives starts from 3000 Rs/- onwards and they get available at few vendors. In such case we can use a bootable pen drive to install new OS on such system. This post tells how to install Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 from bootable pen drive.
- Novicorp WinToFlash 0.4.0013 (2.10MB)[Latest version: 0.5.0000 beta]
- A pen drive of sufficient size.
- Extract 'Novicorp WinToFlash 0.4.0013 beta.zip' after downloading.
- Click on 'WinToFlash.exe' to start the process.
- This software provides two modes of transfer
- Wizard mode:
- Press Next on Wizard welcome screen.
- Select the Windows source path and Usb drive with browse button and press Next.
- A license agreement screen will pop up, just click continue if you accept it.
- A warning telling data on USB will be formated will appear. Click ok after backing up all data from USB to start process.
- After completing transfer wizard, press finish. Pen drive is now ready to boot.
- Advanced mode:
- Click File->new or click Task tab from main window to select task type.
- From drop down menu select type of OS or task and click create.
- In 'basic parameters' tab, select Windows source path, USB drive and file system for formatting pen drive. Use default if you are unaware.
- In 'setup parameters' tab, you can choose option for unattended installation.
- In 'process steps' tab, set option option according to need. e.g. Uncheck 'Format drive' option if you do not want to format pen drive.
- Click run to start process.Follow steps 3 to 5 from wizard mode as they are same.
- Backup required data from partition where want to install the new OS.
- This method does not allow to repair corrupted Windows XP installation if you use pirated CD for preparation of USB device. So make sure to use original CD to prepare USB device.
Choose right size pen drive:
Use 1 or 2 GB pen drive for XP installation, use 4 GB for Windows Vista and if you create custom installation disk using nLite or vLite then use 8 GB if it exceeds 4 GB size. Note that smaller the pen drive, faster is the copying speed and you nneed to wait for small amount of period before getting into the OS.
- Restart the system. Open BIOS and set 'USB Hard disk' as first boot device.
- Boot from pen drive. Select option "1,Text Mode" for starting setup.
- After rebooting, boot from pen drive and select option "2, GUI Mode".
- After rebooting, boot from pen drive and select option "2, GUI Mode" again. You will be in OS. Remove redundant boot entries from boot.ini file.
- GUI interface for making bootable USB.
- MuliOS support: Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/7.
- Supports nLite custom Windows XP.
- Supports vLite custom Windows Vista.
Leave a comment