Features of FilesOverMiles service:
- No registration is required to avail the service.
- No installation of any software or plug-in.
- Faster file transfer than any IM client (like GTalk) as it uses no intermediate server for transferring files. Files are sent the shortest way - directly between the sender and recipient.
- Password authentication for identifying intended recipient of file.
- Shows recipient's IP address to detect fraud.
- Flash Player 10 or above: Install Flash Player 10.1.51.45 Beta (IE) or Download Flash Player 10.1.51.45 Beta (Non-IE) according to your browser.
- Open http://www.filesovermiles.com
Click on 'Browse' to locate the file on the hard disk.
FilesOverMiles.com generates a Unique URL for referencing the file. You can enter password for authentication purpose.
- Pass on this URL and password to intended recipient of the file.
If the file is password protected, it asks for password. Enter the password and click download.
In this process, sender computer acts as a file server. Multiple recipients can download file at a time. FilesOverMiles.com shows recipients' IP addresses for detecting unauthenticated access to your file. You can ask your friend about his computer's external IP address and confirm it with one shown on your screen. Currently, your computer's external IP address is
- Downloaded file on client side is saved in RAM. After downloading entire file, it asks for saving file.
- File size restriction: A sender may upload only those files that are smaller than the memory available on his/her computer. In turn, a recipient may download only those files that are smaller than half of the memory available on his/her computer.
- No resume supported: Once sender closes browser window for FilesOverMiles.com, receiver has to download entire file if it is not downloaded completely. File transfer resume is not yet supported.
- No file size restriction: File restriction in FilesOverMiles.com service is due to it's dependency on Adobe Flash player. Future releases of Adobe flash player may remove this restriction so we can transfer file of any size.
- Resuming file transfer process: FilesOverMiles.com currently does not support resumption of file transfer. Once browser is closed by sender, receiver has to download entire file again if file transfer is not complete.
- Peer to Peer algorithm implementaion like BitTorrent: As told earlier, FilesOverMiles.com allows multiple recipient to download file. But these receivers download file from original sender like conventional file server. FilesOverMiles.com is is working on implementing Peer to Peer algorithm like BitTorrent so that each client will download as well as upload data which he/she has downloaded.