Bookmarklets are free:
There is a limited amount of room in a bookmark URL field. Most of the famous browsers allow URL size less than 2000 characters. They may produce error after that. Read more about URL size limit here. This means that each bookmarklet is much simpler than a traditional program. They are usually two or three lines of code.
Are bookmarklets safe?
Bookmarklets are safer than traditional software for the following reasons:
- They are less error prone to syntax and logical mistakes as they are very small.
- No separate software installation is required to run them.
Usage of bookmarklet:
Bookmarklets are simple one click tools which add functionality to the browser. For example, they can:
- Modify font size, background color of web page
- Extract data from a web page (e.g., hyperlinks, images, text, etc.)
- Query a search engine.
- Submit the current page to a link validation service, or translation service.
- Set commonly chosen configuration options when the page itself provides no way to do this.
- SideWiki bookmarklet: SideWiki is released by Google on . You can install Google toolbar with SideWiki from http://www.google.com/sidewiki/intl/en/index.html. Browsers get updated regularly so you can not guarantee that SideWiki functionality in Google toolbar will work on updated beta version of your browser. Click here to see and write SideWikis for this page. You need to sign in your gmail account for writing a SideWiki. I have already written first SideWiki to demonstrate functionality.
- Simple Firefox Notepad: Notepad (default size: 450x350) and Notepad (default size: 550x700)
- Edit this web page: Edit this web page. Click at any point on web page and start editing (insert characters, delete characters etc.). After running above bookmarklet, text links become unclickable. Only flashes and hyper linked images can be clicked. You can always save edited page with 'Save As' option. This is very similar to writing a post for your website in Compose mode. Hit reload to get rid of the effect.
- Crazy images: Crazy images. This bookmarklet will scoop up all the images on the web page and have them start spiraling around. Again Hit refresh to stop images spiraling.
Following sites contain number of useful bookmarklets.
Click here to post comment